Saturday, January 22, 2011

AN URBAN FIREPLACE

I have always wanted a fireplace.  Unfortunately, the bungalow did not come equipped with one so I just resigned myself to the fact that I would not have one.
As it happens, I shop at a wonderful little gift store in the downtown area of my city.  The owner is a lovely woman whom I have known for many years.  In the back of her shop, sat a a fireplace mantle which was used for displays.  I have to say I drooled over this thing for a long time and finally got the courage to ask if she would sell it to me.  She told me she would think about it and finally after a year or so went by, I got the call from her telling me to come and buy it.  WAAAHOOOOOOO!  I was thrilled!!
I got this treasure home and I had the perfect spot for it.  Just one little problem....I still didn't have a fireplace.  Okay, no problem I thought, I'll just load 'er up with pillar candles in clear glass cylinders for safety.  I threw some burlap over a pile of old books to vary the height of the candles and added pinecones and greenery for the Christmas season.  I had a little birdy candle thingy which I never knew where to place and then it just came to me that it had to go on the wall in the mantle's opening.  
Well, when all the candles are lit and it is a chilly night, I cannot tell you how cozy and comforting this "fireplace" is.  Even our black lab Molly, loves to lay in front of it.  When the season changes, I will remove the pinecones and place shells and fresh flowers in there.  I will leave the white pillars of course although I could change those to another color.  But I love white.
So, there you go.... anyone can have a fireplace.  This mantle is simple to construct really and could be made to any size.  Apartment dwellers, small condos, any space could house one of these.  My mantle is constructed out of plywood and trim from the hardware store.  The net is full of plans for these and you could even just draw out a simple one by looking at mine.
I will end this post with a beautiful saying by Emerson....
Finish each day and be done with it
You have done what you could
Some blunders and absurdities have crept in
Forget them as soon as you can
Tomorrow is a new day
You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spririt
To be encumbered with your old nonsense.

2 comments: